Jeffrey S. Gavenman is a Member of Schulman Bhattacharya. Jeff represents corporations and individuals across a broad spectrum of complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Gavenman is well known for his results-oriented approach focused on strategy and client service, his ability to lead clients through all phases of litigation and his skill in identifying and resolving complex legal issues. The National Trial Lawyers Association has recognized his outstanding legal work by naming him one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for the state of Maryland for 2015 and 2016.
Mr. Gavenman has represented Fortune 100 companies and individual clients in mediations, arbitrations, state courts, and federal courts. He has a wide range of experience, including in contractual, multi-jurisdictional, international, antitrust, insurance, product liability, professional liability and other business-related disputes, and in government investigations, internal investigations, corporate counseling and employment law matters.
Mr. Gavenman’s clients span a variety of industries, including automobile manufacturing, cable television, construction, consumer electronics, franchising, financial services, government, insurance, legal, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, real estate, restaurants, technology and telecommunications. He also brings unique international experience to the table. He has lived and worked in Israel, Hungary, Romania and Kosovo, giving him an uncommon ability to navigate the business and cultural norms of his international clients. Jeff has used his experience and skills to help clients from over a dozen countries achieve their goals.
Among Mr. Gavenman’s noteworthy matters are:
- Obtained millions of dollars in both trial verdicts and settlements for clients.
- Ongoing representations of multiple pharmaceutical companies in “bet-the-company” litigation.
- Successfully represented numerous Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes commercial and employment litigations.
- Successfully defended the American subsidiary of a major Japanese trading company against a lawsuit requesting 70 million dollars in damages.
- Conducted international internal investigations for several major multinational companies.
- Represented multiple corporate clients responding to government investigations, including investigations by the DOJ, the SEC and the CFPB.
- Advised small- and mid-cap international companies on contractual and intellectual property issues relating to business expansion opportunities in Eastern Europe and Latin America.
- Served as strategic advisor to multiple foreign governments and to three prime ministers.
Mr. Gavenman holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Los Angeles, cum laude, and holds a Juris Doctor from New York University School of Law, where he won the school’s Oral Advocacy Competition. Prior to joining Schulman Bhattacharya, LLC, Mr. Gavenman was a litigator at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, and Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, P.A. He is admitted to practice in Maryland, New York and Washington, D.C.
Recent News about Mr. Gavenman
- Schulman Bhattacharya Prevails After Filing California Federal Court Action—Major Internet Commerce Companies Yield To Demand To Block On-Line Sales Transactions For VSL#3 Product
- Schulman Bhattacharya Wins Major Federal Jury Trial—$18 Million Awarded To Clients Claudio De Simone And ExeGi Pharma For False Advertising, Unjust Enrichment And Unpaid Royalties
- Schulman Bhattacharya Resolves Hotly Contested Litigation For Celebrity Chef In Dispute Over Ownership And Management Of Washington Restaurant Ventures
- Schulman Bhattacharya Forces $21.3 Million Buy-Out Of Client’s Interests In Nine Washington Area Real Estate Companies
- Schulman Bhattacharya Secures Confidential Settlement In Battle Over Intellectual Property Royalties
7500 Old Georgetown Road, Suite 901
Bethesda, Maryland 20814